Tuesday, January 18, 2011

They are hungry.

work-in-progress
Guezmo (director/LDS bishop) and Ken Potter (James's Haiti tour guide/boss man)

James leaves tomorrow night for Haiti to help the work continue on an orphanage outside Port au Prince. We heard today from the director that they are (literally) out of food. Much of James' 2 bags he can take are weighed down with tools they will need and his gear to survive. I begged Delta this afternoon to waive the 100$ fee for a few extra bags we could fill with rice and beans, to no avail.

So this means money will be better spent in country. We are pretty maxed out with James' travel expenses/shots/expedited passport etc. etc. My gracious parents are sending him with several hundred dollars to buy food directly for the orphanage with the hopes I can raise some money to give back to them/pay them when we can. The grocery stores are few and far between and the perimeter is surrounded with huge brick fences. (i.e. no starving people can get in...) Two 80 pound bags of rice costs 100$ and I'm sure beans are roughly in the same price range. I am humbled tonight as I feed my own children Easy Mac and fruit.

If anyone would like to contribute, it would be much appreciated, even 5 or 10 dollars will go far. Please email me at elizabethbarnum@hotmail.com and I'll send you my parents address or my paypal name.
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELPED. WE GATHERED ABOUT 1500 FOR JAMES TO BUY FOOD WITH. THIS FAR EXCEEDED ANY EXPECTATIONS I HAD!
xoxo

No comments:

 

yasmin lawsuit