Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tube time....

Cousin Jeff, sitting back, sipping a diet root beer and about to have some Sunday afternoon entertainment Badger style....

Don't worry, I'm a pro...we've probably done this to LuLu over a hundred times. :(

Quick and dirty....


Jeff trying to restrain James as he started to fight it....

I had it almost all the way down...

...and he yanked it out.

Maybe you had to be there...but it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

He was gagging and all sorts of about to throw up..., thinking to myself that my tough husband is kind of a baby. LuLu does this all the time.

I'm surprised I didn't reflexively get chucked off the island.

Much coughing to follow, a continued burning, itchy nose and throat....

He's a champ for trying.



And I'm up...thought I could handle it. I've birthed 2 babies naturally at home. Just kidding, totally drugged and in the hospital but still I birthed 2 babies. My foot was pounding the counter trying to endure the momentary torture and secretly hoping I could do something James couldn't.

No such luck. Child birth was easier than this.

Poser. This is just taped to his face and barely in his nose. Neither of us could hack it...which made it even harder knowing we had to put it back down LuLu's nose immediately as she will not consume the amount of fluid/calories she needs to keep her kidneys flushed and add pounds to her tiny frame. But that's being a parent I guess, doing what you know is best for your child even when it's hard to do.



Wrapped like a burrito, Dad on top, head pinned with MuM's knees makes for a defenseless little baby. We're quick, she's tough and forgiving. It was a good few days to see her without it but it's not time to flush it down the toilet yet. Anyone up for the tube challenge??

18 comments:

John and Charese said...

Laughing and crying all at the same time! Glad you got a good laugh, you need it! Poor LuLu what a tough little girl. And Super CUTE!

Carlye Momma said...

Thank you for sharing. Like your friend above you had me laughing...then crying for your little one. Tough little cookie!

L. Smith said...

Not only was that a well needed laugh for me (and would have LOVED to be there in person) but it was SO SO SO wonderful to see you two having some F.U.N. and sharing a good laugh!

Rogers Neighborhood said...

Oh my heavens you guys are funny. My girlfriend tried to put a NG down in me in nursing school and I reacted the same way. It is awful. I miss you all terribly. I can't wait for the weather to be warm so Lu can meet Canyon. I love you and miss you.

Lisa Cannon said...

Loved the pictures! Is that your new house? It's darling!

Jan said...

Oh my, I'm definitely not up for that challenge cuz I'm no where near as brave as your little LuLu!!! Such a sweetie pie :)

Carrie and Nathan said...

I commend you both for trying! Hilarious pictures...well not so much for Lulu-what a trooper! She's just beautiful, Liz.

Trent and Brooke Starr said...

Hilarious and then heartbreaking! What an awesome little lady! Good job Mom and Dad for loving her enough to do the yucky stuff!

The Davidson's said...

nurses at work have done that same thing and couldnt take it. There must be something with kids anatomy that just makes it easier to go down without as much pain. Who knows, but seeing them placed is never fun to watch. She will look back and thank you one day knowing it was all for the best.
PS. I have heard that if you have a drink to keep swallowing and sit up it helps the tube go down quicker.

The Davidson's said...

And your new house from what I can see looks super cute :)

Anonymous said...

Having had to put these in more than a few adult patients the tips I can offer you are... have a cup of water handy and take a few swallows while trying to put it in, sit up and turn your head to one side...

allieb said...

hahaha oh i love it! seriously, lulu is one tough little girl to have to endure that all the time! i don't think i'm up for the challenge...i'll just take your word for it ; P

p.s. you guys are the most amazing parents ever, lulu is so lucky! i can't even imagine trying to do that to kaia...

Erica said...

You guys are crazy. :) Maybe I could convince Doug to give it a try though. (evil laugh) I don't know whether this is good or just plain sad, but Eden hardly even fights it anymore when I have to put the tube down. These are tough little girls we have.

Jo Lynn said...

All right, you two are HILARIOUS!!!! I love that you both were willing to experience what baby Lulu has to endure and then it was all laughs until I saw the pictures of your sweet little angel, I bet she can't wait to be done with that stupid thing!!! Poor baby Lulu, what a sweetheart you guys were blessed with!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor girl wish she didn't need to have it anymore but with prayers that day will come!

Glad you guys gave it a try, it looks like it was fun but also painful!

Annie said...

Those pictures are priceless and hilarious . . . and sad. That Lu is one tough cookie.

Cydnee said...

Wow, James looks pretty handsome with that tube hanging out his nostril...time to switch you Facebook profile pic?

Douglas Lai said...

Okay we just tried at our house. The rest was not very pretty. Tried 4 times hoping to beat you guys, but to no avail. Hats off to our kids.

 

yasmin lawsuit