Thursday, April 22, 2010

Red Cross






I've been privileged to speak at a few Red Cross functions to share LuLu's story. I love promoting organ donation as you know if you read this blog but it's important to remember we cant have successful, life saving transplants without donor blood. LuLu received 9 units of blood during and after surgery. She needed platelets for days. I am so grateful to blood donors, whether or not their blood went to my Lu, in theory it's all the same.

I will continue to do my part to pay it forward and hope that others waiting for their kidney, liver, heart, pancreas, lungs etc...won't wait as long or die trying. I had a rad (you know who you are) guy approach me after I spoke about LuLu and Ashley and said he was going home that day to sign up to be an organ donor. Mission accomplished.

I've made it clear to my James and declare it now to the world that if I can be a donor when my life comes to an end I want nothing left of me. Take my eyes, my face (you know they do face transplants, right?) every viable organ, every bit of tissue and skin on my body. Cremate me or have a closed casket with the coffin nailed shut, I don't care which.

I laugh now, because I've asked my friends who've done my hair for years to make sure it looks good when I die and Kathryn to be sure my makeup looks good when people are walking through and giving their condolences. Please don't leave it to the old lady working at the mortuary to style me up for my final hoorah.... Very vain, I know. Let's just say I've come a long way. Take it all.

****added on by Auntie Julia below*****
This blog post made me think of a recent road trip Lizzie and I took with our sons. We were in the car for 12 hours, and much of that time was spent reflecting on LuLu's diagnosis, treatment, and subsequent transplant. Lizzie is so passionate about organ donation. We started talking about reasons why someone wouldn't want to be an organ donor, and couldn't think of too many. Lizzie got all fired up and said, "When I die, I want them to take it all. My organs, my bones, my face, even the skin off my body. Then, I want an open casket funeral..." momentarily horrified and a little nauseous thinking about it , I looked over at Lizzie like she was insane. It took her a second for her mind to catch up to her words. We busted out laughing until we cried as we talked about the horror of loved ones, especially little kids viewing her open casket without anything left of her. Closed casket indeed!!!

5 comments:

Rogers Neighborhood said...

That is great. Your story has touched so many people and many more to come. Liz you also looked beautiful.

Liz said...

Julia, you make me laugh. I am so glad that Lizzie has decided the closed casket is a good idea. I would have hated explaining that sight to my little ones. HA HA HA!

Ryan.Kendra.Makenzie.Tracker said...

oh liz your amazing. i never understood the passion until recently. i always figured, of course you donate. hello you dont need it. i never understood the other side. still dont. but my passion has changed. to save a lulu would be the biggest honor of anyones life. sooo YES i am a donor and please strip me down to my bones when its time.
PS. the donor assoc. is coming to my kenzie event in July to get more awareness and people to become donors. WHOO HOOO!

The Hale's said...

I couldnt agree more!! I say that too. What is the point of having any body parts when you are dead, right?? Someone else can use them. You are amazing. I cant wait until little Lulu can come out and play and have fun with little Memphis!! Let me know when that is and we can make a date :)

Anonymous said...

Liz,
LuLu looks so good! Just beautiful and perfect. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to meet her. I know Ashley would have loved her so much. You are such a strong and loving person.

Take Care,
Jen Alonzo*Camie's cousin*

 

yasmin lawsuit