Tuesday, March 9, 2010

MY PSA--GET NAKED...

(if you, like James don't know what PSA stands for it's Public Service Announcement)...and go see your dermatologist. Well go see your dermatologist first, then get naked and have a FULL body skin cancer screening. DO NOT BE SHY. If you are a close friend or family member of mine you probably have been nagged by me already, but for the rest of you not fortunate enough to be bugged in person, here it is.

Though this has nothing to do with LULU, I feel it important to spread the word to as many people as possible. I had my first skin cancer screening 6 years ago after a girl James went to high school with died of skin cancer. She passed away within a few months of it being diagnosed, it was a wake-up call for fair skinned me and I have avoided the sun ever since. I too had early skin cancer and had surgery on two areas that were early enough to "cut" out rather than starting cancer treatment. My doctor had already arranged to send me up to Hunstman Cancer Institue but we got a second opinion with my pathology report and opted/felt comfortable with surgery and follow up biopsies. I've gone every 6 months (I drag my olive skinned husband too) since with the exception of this last year being so busy with London and spending more than my share of time in Doctors offices and hospitals.

I am very glad I finally listened to the still small voice inside me to finally make the appointments and just GO. I just got the call from my PA and the one mole/freckle he biopsied is cancerous. I am fine....not even worried about it just grateful I went. It will be removed by a plastic surgeon (it's on my neck) and I'll be good to go.

I asked him how much longer I would have needed to "wait" for this to have been "bigger and badder" just so I could tell friends, family and cyberville how time sensitive detecting skin cancer is. 6 months to a year was his estimate before I would have required some serious cancer treatment. I am again, so thankful for modern medicine.

So to all of you: please go see a dermatologist--it may save your life. In Salt Lake I really like Dr.David C. Hansen (801) 581-2955 or Matt Francom PA both in Murray and both excellent! (801) 268-9673. Don't be the judge of what you think looks scary enough to be seen. I've never had a horrible looking mole/freckle that I was worried about, it takes the eye of a skilled professional to detect cancer. Most skin cancer occurs later in life due to severe sunburns as a child. (that's me!)

Please, please go..... Then make all your friends and family go too. Early detection is KEY.

xoxo
lizzie
Alpha-1, liver Mum

5 comments:

Carlye Momma said...

:-) Thanks for this...guess I'll go then...GOSH!

Mama Williams said...

Thank you for sharing this, especially for the Dr. references. I've been avoiding it...thanks for the nudge.

AshleyS said...

i need to do this, thank you for posting about it and giving me the push. calling my derm as we speak.

Carlye Momma said...

I have just made an appt. w/ Dr. Hansen. Thank you for the referral and for the push. Please bless it's nothing though. :-)

Tasha said...

I have been thinking about getting my moles checked and I guess this was the push I needed! Thanks! I found your blog through Utah Liver Families (my good friend and neighbor had two liver transplants last July)

Thanks for sharing your story!

 

yasmin lawsuit