Monday, May 17, 2010

Knock on wood







Seconds after finishing my post yesterday my phone rang. Caller ID said it wasDr. Book. I couldn't wait to say "I was right about clinic today, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha-ha" to our nurse...I know, I'm so mature. After I told Corinne and she lovingly gave me a courtesy laugh, she said "well it's a very good thing you did come in today to do labs". My heart dropped to my big toe. Tears already flowing. No. No. No. No. Whatever she was about to say...No. I can't do it. My poor Lu, we can't do it. We can't go back to the hospital, we just got out. There can't be something major wrong, we're just barely on the right track. She SEEMS just fine.

She said her liver numbers are very alarming. I am sobbing now. I walked out to James in the kitchen. All he sees are my tears and knows something is seriously wrong, he just doesn't know what. I am on the floor at this point, my legs wouldn't hold me up. We needed to hurry back to the hospital, there would be a room ready for us (bypassing the ER) and she'd be getting a liver biopsy done tomorrow. Her liver enzymes should be around 60, but one was 700 the other over 1000.

Fast forward to the present moment. London is positive for a virus called Epstein Barr which could be contributing to the elevation in her liver numbers but the only way to know if it's in combination to rejection is the liver biopsy. She just got out of surgery and is recovering well from the anesthesia. We'll hopefully have results in the coming hours from her biopsy.

Dr. Book calmed me last night. We don't even need to be thinking about another transplant. They can most always treat rejection. The EB will be monitored very closely and be treated with antivirals. Again EB is no big deal for the common population but for a liver transplantee and immunosuppressed baby it's dangerous and will be treated seriously.

So for now we wait. I worry and am exhausted. I want off this roller-coaster. I don't want have to worry about London every day. I am sad for her and for what has been her normal life. She hasn't been to the zoo, has been to a park once (and got sick after) and rarely leaves our house unless it's to go to the hospital or to stay in the hospital. She's been to few family functions, and is a novelty to her cousins. I know it will get better and easier...I'm just ready for that to be now.
xoxo
lizzie downer ;)
alpha-1, liver mum
ps Harmonee is still in surgery, it's been a long, rough night but she is persevering.
pps Ragnar relay is a month away...whenever I get serious about training for my 13.5 miles that I'll be running, we end up back in the hospital. New method of training- James will drop me off 10 miles away from home and I'll make my way back. :) Do or die at this point. If we weren't running for "Donate Life" I'd probably have forfeited by now.

14 comments:

Julia said...

I love you, my darling baby sissy. I love you James, Mister Jonah, and my pumpkin LuLu. Love, love, love you. I'm sorry I'm sick and can't be near to help. Maybe I can wear a mask and clean your house? Call me when you can, I don't want to bother you.

Julia

Julia said...

PS James, you look like a mountain man. :)

TPoirot said...

love you Lizzy! you're never alone--- LOTS of prayers from me- my friends- and my family for LuLu!!! xoxo

Sarah Lemn said...

Ugh! Tears fill my eyes because I know the pain and frustration you are feeling right now! It's immense and overwhelming. EBV SUCKS! I hate it. Please keep your head up. You are awesome. Mackenzie rejected because of EBV in January and a 5 day hospital stay some great IV drugs and steriods reversed the rejection. You will start all over with the anti-virals, anti-bacterials, steriods, etc. at home, but LuLu will recover. It does get easier, it's a new normal. EBV is a monster, but please stay positive and for your own sanity stay away from the internet and researching EBV while you are feeling like this, from my own experiences you will go down a black hole and you don't need to be there. We've have been there and made it through so can you! Lots of Liver Love!

Karen said...

words of wisdom from Sarah....hang in there,girl....I'm praying for you all.

Lindsey said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. Hang in there! Your blog is incredible and you are an amazing woman Liz!

mfmarr said...

Hi Lizzie. I'm Mackenzie's Grandma and Sarah's mom. I know how scary that word "rejection" is. I will say my heart dropped like a rock when we heard it in January, but it was a good thing to know that they can turn it around, just like Sarah said. I check in on you every few days and you have really been through it, but I know you'll be fine and so will Lulu. I'll be saying extra prayers for you all, and know that there are lots of people praying in Virginia. Mikie Marr

Anonymous said...

Oh Lizzie I am so so sorry. Hang in there my prayers are with you that its a very short stay. You are such a fabulous mum, keep positive!! By the way Lulu's scar looks great. I can believe how good it looks for being only a few months old.
xoxo
Kayli

Jen said...

Philippians 4:13
13 "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Unknown said...

Lizzie,

I am so sorry to hear this for LuLU. I can't even imagine everything you all have been through.
Please know that I am praying for LuLu.
She has come so far and will come even further after this. God is good, just lay it all at his feet.
Praying for you guys.

Love,

Jodi

The Hunters! said...

You know that I hate hearing this stuff! And you also know that my prayers are ALWAYS with you guys!!
~Jamie

Lexi Ray said...

Oh I am so sorry that you are back up at the hospital. Lots of Prayer coming your way. Much Love Lexi Ray

Cydnee said...

I wish you could take a little vacation from the stress that is your life. Love you so much, Lizzie Bug and fam!

Libbey Louise said...

Tough as nails Lu Lu... Tough as nails. OUr Prayers, hope, faith and love are all with you!

 

yasmin lawsuit