Saturday, January 23, 2010

MY WEEK IN REVIEW

*This week my child's life was preserved with a perfect pink liver.

*This week another child died in order for that to happen.

*This week her mother and I got to cry in each others arms and told the other thank you, I love you.

*This week I've met MANY amazing people who have humbled me, changed me. Y'all know who you are.

*This week I am more grateful than ever for my life, for everything we've endured this last year.I wouldn't change it, other than taking the suffering away from my Lu.

*This week I laughed with great friends til I cried and felt so lucky to be surrounded by amazing friends and family (one-in-the-same) ALL the time.

*This week I chatted with a Mum and Dad while their 6 year old was undergoing his 20th back surgery which most definitely wont be his last.

*This week I chatted with a Mum who's little boy has endured 2 open heart surgeries and is hoping and praying to avoid a transplant.

*This week I held the hand of an Iraqi man named Abdul who speaks little, almost zero English. I could feel the overwhelming goodness of him just by looking at him and standing before him. His daughter is not doing well to say the least and has found out he has a brain tumor that will be operated on in the coming weeks, while his little girl is hopefully still hanging on in the PICU. 3 out of his 6 children are Little People. The country of Iraq, not able to provide any medical care they all have all desperately needed. Bless Him, Bless His family.

*This week we've added another dog to our family that didn't have a home before but deserves a good one. (this is news to our MuM's and Dad's--Surprise!) She belongs with us. She shall be called RAMSI. (named after my BF that doesn't like dogs :))I've taught her to sit and shake today and to stop clobbering me and jumping on me. We are so in love.

*This week I met another MuM and Dad who's 10 week old girl just had intestinal surgery, she was about the same age LuLu was when we found out she'd have a very long uncertain road ahead. She actually looked a bit like LuLu, BIG bow on her head and all.

*This week I was invited to help and attend a Birthday Party/Benefit Fundraiser for my sister-in-laws friend MILO who has stage 3a testicular cancer. Please contact me if you have goods or services you'd like to donate to his silent auction. elizabethbarnum@hotmail.com it is the 10th of February. He deserves all the help we can give. FIGHTING a TOUGH FIGHT.

*This week a random man in the hospital asked James if he knew where he needed to go to donate a kidney. I happen to be talking with my friend Jill at the moment who works in the Pediatric Kidney Transplant program. She knew the number he needed to first call by heart. I high-fived this man who many, maybe myself included (but I hope not) would have judged him a bit by his appearance. Never, never judge a book by it's cover. By the time we were done chatting I was hugging him, thanking him for what he would be doing for another person. A complete stranger to him. What an amazing, incredible man. (he had a bag packed, like he was ready to do it that moment-the screening though, being a rather long process with formal beginnings) Come to find out he has a very rare blood type--Jill saying with excitement "We need your kidney!" We need his blood. That was a divine run-in. MADE MY DAY.

*This week my heart has been broken for every Haitian. Feelings of guilt that we are receiving such amazing treatment and so many others aren't.

*This week, the same as every week I see children with cancer and am humbled thinking our road could be harder than it is.

*This week I've had correspondence with a sweet, young MuM who lost her baby in December. Angel Kenz was a donor and most definitely saved lives. I think her MuM will become a good friend of mine.

* LuLu's blog has been viewed over 20,000 times in the last month. I think she'll have saved some lives somewhere down the road. It's been viewed all over America, in Italy, Switzerland, Australia, South Africa, Canada, Portugal, the UK, China, Singapore, India, Malaysia, Belgum and Germany. How connected we all are... never could we have imagined delivering our journey to so many.

*This morning London came off her ventilator and is in much better spirits, sitting up laughing with her Dad as I type.

***I feel really lucky to be Jonah & London's MuM, THIS WEEK has most definitely made me a better human, a better parent****

That was just this week and not really the half of it. More to come on that...

xoxo
Liver MuM

16 comments:

Julia said...

Love, love, love you, my dear baby sister!

xoxo to infinity.

JuJu

mIcHeLLe said...

oh I know...every day that I go to work at Primary on the 3rd floor, I come home sooo grateful...wish everyone could see this perspective. You are a wonderful mother/human being...and love how grateful you are to your daughter's angel donor...what a gift. I wish everyone were a donor.

amy16 said...

You can live a life time in a week. Waking on the 7th day as if it were a blink of an eye, never again to be the person you were mere days before. The stronger for it.

You are a brave, strong women Liz. We are all lucky to have you in this world. You continue to amaze me everyday with the selflessness that you protrait. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. You and London have most definately made a difference in this world.

Sarah said...

glad to hear lulu is feeling better and LAUGHING. :) it makes my heart happy to hear it.

Jamie said...

beautiful.

celebrations at the neider home since lulu is laughing! hooray for happy babies!!!

TPoirot said...

what an AMAZING week you have shared with us- thank you Lizzy! Your ability to live, love, learn, laugh, share, AND always inspire the rest of us to be better people-is a GIFT! YAY- for LuLu being off vent and enjoying her Dada :-)

The Davidson's said...

WOW those words were so amazing to read. Im so humbled by you and your(lulu's) journey. I am so grateful to God for all the love and peace that has come your way. Your entire family is so fantastic. You are beyond loved! You've learned more than most ever will. All my love, Tausha

Dale and Tabitha said...

What an amazing week you had!!!

I loved our conversations. I loved laughing til I couldn't breathe. I loved the yummy cheese cake yogurt...which I crave. I love the people that you surround yourself with. I love your beautiful children that I would do anything for. I love that you share these incredible stories with the world, so we are able to have just a little better perspective of the type of human being we would like to be. I love that you taught me to not feel sorry for myself and always know someone elses trials are much greater. I love that the world knows your incredible daughters journey and her strenghth. I love you my dear friend Liz and will continue to learn from you everyday.

Cydnee said...

Wise little Sis! I'm still dying to hear more of the "other half"...as soon as this virus is out of my bod, I'm up there with you and Lu, okee?

Karen said...

...ur amazing,Liz.

Annie said...

Insightful and inspiring as always. xoxo

AshleyS said...

Liz, this was so beautiful to read, I feel lucky to know you. You are a beautiful person and reading your journey is quite simply an inspiration to be a better/more loving human being. Thank you for sharing. Go Lulu! Keep getting better!

Jen said...

You are simply amazing and I cry every time I read your blog!

allieb said...

you are always such an inspiration! seriously, you're amazing. so lucky to have you as my lion friend, you have taught me so much about life : ) love you!

Carli said...

I love this post! You are such anamazing person and I am glad that your little girl has a great mommy to look up to. also, I made her something but I don;t know when it is best to try and get it to you so let me know! my e mail is carliann00@hotmail.com

Dayton and Candice said...

Love you cous'-- Miss you so much! I am so happy to hear Lulu was laughing w/ her crazy-silly Daddy :) Tears and love in my heart for Lulu's "angel" family--And that you were able to meet and express love will be with you both forever--Love you! ***Amen to answered prayers** I look forward to the time when Dax & Cam can see their beautiful lil' cousin they pray for each night!!

 

yasmin lawsuit