Saturday, January 16, 2010

PICU Update (Posted by Julia)

My sweet Aunt Shawna offered to watch my three monkeys so I could visit LuLu this morning. When I arrived, James and Lizzie were at home taking showers and packing Jonah's bag. My mom was on duty. LuLu has had a few "rough spells," as my mom (a NICU nurse) described them.

I was about to ask her what that meant, but from the corner of my eye I could see LuLu start to thrash around. She opens her mouth really wide to try to let out a cry, but nothing escapes because of her breathing tube. She's somewhere between sedation and reality, but no doubt, quite uncomfortable. My mom said there is a fine line between keeping her sedated and medicated so she can be comfortable, but not TOO sedated or medicated so she forgets to breathe.

Speaking of breathing, they were just about to do a test run on LuLu after I left. The plan was to turn her ventilator off to see if she can breathe on her own. If she can, they might remove her breathing tube today. For now, her arms are tied down to prevent her from pulling things out. Her legs are free and, man-oh-man, does she ever use them! My mom and I quickly developed a system. My mom would put gently hold her forehead and upper chest while I held her legs. There are just too many tubes and lines that she can disconnect. Hearing her grandma's voice helped soothe her.

Yesterday, one of LuLu's surgeons said that this week would be very difficult for her and for her parents. We were on such a high with excitement that it didn't fully sink in during that moment. I kept thinking this morning, "It's a good thing this little lady is such a tough cookie." She was born fighting for her life, so her strong spirit will serve her well during recovery.

xoxoxo

6 comments:

Sarah said...

sweet little LuLu... we will pray even harder (if that's possible) that recovery can go as smoothly as possible. she's gone through so much already. i have faith in our little fighter.
lots of hugs to all this week.

Josie said...

I hope you guy's get some rest going through such a sensitive time in her recovery. London will continue to be fighter. Liz your ways of putting things are just humbling to me. You guys are so strong. Love you!!

Melissa Parker said...

Liz, I have been following your blog to see how the little princess Lulu is doing. What a fighter and wow what a family she has to rally and fight along with her. She is a blessing to us all and thank you for opening up your lives so people like myself can grow and learn from such a wonderful little sweet heart. My thoughts are with you. Much love and adoration....Melissa (pbk)

Paul Cardall said...

Congratulations!! We are so excited for Lulu and your family...

TPoirot said...

Oh baby girl- it sounds like you might have a rough week...I will pray for your comfort & rest! Very soon you will feel good~ Recovery is a process: Lizzy & LuLu are the toughest girls I know! You can and will get through this difficult transition. LOVE YOU!!!

Annie said...

Oh sweet lover Lu. Poor little tiny thing. Breaks my heart to hear how uncomfortable she is and how hard that must be for all to watch her suffer. More prayers for you all. Sure love you. Keep fighting, brave girl. xoxoxo

 

yasmin lawsuit